As a Ranger on the “Black Hawk Down” mission, the streets of Mogadishu were a revealing classroom. I learned a great deal from my teammates, of course, as I witnessed their personal courage, skill, and determination. The most important lesson, though, was less obvious. It was about how they worked together, and what that said about what teams can accomplish when they communicate, learn, adapt, and grow.
Over the years since, I’ve been a CEO and held executive positions in a wide range of industries, and in each I’ve seen how great teams can drive success while helping each individual find his or her unique path to success.
In my new calling as an advisor to business owners, I help bring the power of being on a great team to leaders of companies who want to achieve more in their businesses and from their lives.
Key Work Experience
John brings broad experience to the role of chair, having served in a variety of leadership roles across a range of industries, company types, and contexts.
Family Owned Businesses
- CEO of SECO, a $30 million revenue, 100 employee logistics company
- Director of Market Development at Brown Publishing Company, a regional newspaper chain which grew through acquisition from $19 million to $100 million in revenue
Fortune 500 Companies
- Oversaw negotiations, provider management, and strategy for an over $1 billion transportation budget at the Fortune 50 retailer Target Corporation
- VP of New Media at Thompson Newspapers’ $70 million Central Ohio division during its sale to Gannett
Entrepreneurial Growth Companies
- Advisor to $10 million INC 500 legal staffing company
- Business development leader at a $20 million robotics and medical devices R&D company
Military Special Operations
- Small unit leader in the military’s premier direct action assault force, the 75th Ranger Regiment
- Served on a joint unit Combat Search and Rescue team in Mogadishu, Somalia, alongside members of the Army’s Special Mission Unit
University of Michigan - Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Columbia University in the City of New York
Washington University in St. Louis
Organizations I Support
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Army Ranger Lead The Way Fund
- Operation Underground Railroad
- Walker College of Business, Appalachian State University
- Chairman, Business Advisory Council